* Paid internship * Fully remote
* Part-time * Strong writing skills
Internship: Digital Marketing and Engagement Associate
Interested in working at the intersection of local government innovation and community engagement? Are you passionate about urban affairs, municipal policy issues and how localities can make government work better for all residents? Do you have a knack for communications and social media? Apply to intern with our team!
Funkhouser & Associates (F&A) is a boutique consulting firm founded on the idea that we can build better government by cultivating trusted relationships and sharing innovative ideas and solutions to empower the work of public servants.
We have an internship available for a digital marketing and engagement associate. The position’s objective will be to help energize and finetune our social media, communications and audience development efforts. This is a paid internship with an expected commitment of six months (starting mid-June) with potential for extension. It is fully remote with variable hours depending upon F&A projects and candidate availability (estimated 10 hours per week).
- Interest in state and local government policy, public administration, urban issues and/or the civic tech sector.
- Knowledge of the technical and design aspects of email /social marketing and creative ways to identify and reach different audiences effectively.
- Experience with platforms such as MailChimp, Canva and WordPress is highly desirable as well as an understanding of website design and User Experience (UX) principles.
- Ability to produce emails, landing pages, social posts and similar outputs based on original and established templates.
- Ability to craft messaging for different marketing needs consistent with F&A’s brand and mission ( e.g. event summaries, promotional campaigns, audience outreach).
- Experience with metrics reporting with a particular emphasis on digital marketing and driving engagement.
- Ability to to work both independently and collaboratively; detail-oriented, well-organized with excellent follow-through.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
The primary objective of this role is to support audience development and help drive engagement through creative use of social media, website and email marketing. Tasks may include:
- Help manage email/social marketing calendar.
- Take charge of F&A’s digital media presence (Twitter, LinkedIn, website updates/maintenance).
- Audience research and segmentation: identify target audiences and (new) engagement opportunities.
- Draft and design copy for social media and email marketing.
- Collaborate closely with teammates to translate complex policy ideas into engaging email marketing and maintain F&A’s voice and point of view.
- Provide research and/or writing support on select F&A projects.
- Keep abreast of relevant issues to state and local government policy, public administration, urban issues and/or civic tech.
- Monitor team members’ social media accounts and highlight important topics being discussed.
- Coordinate with team members to create and share social media content in alignment with the brand and continue to develop F&A’s presence, voice and brand identity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and a brief statement of interest to email@example.com. In your statement, please describe any particular perspective or interest you have concerning issues affecting local government. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, the target start date for this internship is mid-late June.